Tuesday 6 March 2007

Iteration

Games are like no other form of media as they have many distinct aspects that make them pleasurable. One of these distinct aspects is iteration. Iteration is much like repetition but with a difference. When playing a game we get pleasure through iteration as we repeat but with difference and it is our choice as to whether we repeat or not. Atkins (2003) states that if we ever began to repeat without difference then we would be in danger of tedium. After playing the game Simpsons Hit and Run for a period of several weeks I have found that I have become stuck on a particular mission as the game has become too tedious I have stopped playing. I have tried to complete this particular mission for several weeks however the play has moved from iterative to repetitive as I always know what is going to happen and after trying everything possible to complete it I know I just cannot. According to Atkins (2003) iterative play is pleasurable as there is a possibility that you may win this time or you may be able to find a new shortcut. Atkins puts it that there is an opportunity to see and do again differently and this gives pleasure. In Simpsons Hit and Run I have tried every kind of new route and short cut in order to complete the game but always fall short by a matter of seconds outside of the time boundaries of the game. “Enough space for iterative repetition and I will play on” (Atkins 2003). Poole (2000, p.172) looks at the psychological aspects of repetition. If the action is rewarded then it will be repeated, this is why I have been able to get as far I have in the game as when I did win the missions my reward was moving to the next level and I enjoyed this which is why I have tried so hard on the current mission I am stuck on.

No comments: